Awarded World’s Best Small Ship Cruise line, Windstar Cruises is known for intimate yacht style experience and unique voyages to the world’s best small ports and hidden harbors. Its three sailing yachts and three all-suite yachts carry just 148 to 310 guests and cruise around the world.
Our Mission: We imagine and deliver personalized and immersive experiences 180 degrees from ordinary
Our Vision: Enriching people’s perspective through inspired travel
Our Values: Welcoming, Innovative, Now, Discipline, Serve, Teamwork, Authentic, Responsible
Works in conjunction with the corporate and location-based IT team members, Xanterra’s management team, and the user community to provide overall support for information systems. Position is involved with planning, implementation, training, and on-going support of applications as well as other duties assigned by the Regional Director of IT and the Chief Information Officer.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Serves as the de facto DBA for the cruise line. This will primarily include installation and maintenance of MS SQL and Oracle databases, in addition to extensive report writing in SSRS and Crystal Reports. These are mandatory skills and will require expert level experience for several years to be proficient.
- Provides support for all of the company’s software, including installation, technical support, training and administration.
- Serves as a liaison and project management counterpart while working with software vendors used by the organization. While working with the software vendors, this individual is responsible for functionality analysis, specification and software design and documentation on needs/requirements requested in future releases of the product.
- Under the direction of the Regional Director of IT, manages major systems infrastructure changes including servers, desktops, notebook/laptops, network connection devices and security applications including the adherence to corporate environment standards for purchasing, maintenance and proper disposal/recycling of retired physical assets.
- Provides backup support for centrally managed server functions to include procedures for backup, storage media, scheduling, and off-site storage. This includes disaster recovery hardware and applications for designated corporate systems.
- Works in conjunction with the Regional Director of IT and Chief Information Officer to formulate technology and related standards to be followed by all business units and assist in verifying that all standards are being followed.
- Assists the Regional Director of IT with planning of disaster recovery programs to ensure system recovery should the system suffer a serious malfunction or failure and may respond from remote locations via VPN or in person when system failures or problems require their attention.
- Responsible for maintaining appropriate application development standards, procedures, processes for modification, upgrade and/or changes to the purchased application products. Responsible for ensuring that all documentation protocols mandated by the Chief Information Officer (including change management, help desk management and others) are followed within the assigned property.
- Creates and maintains needed system and user documentation for systems installed, supported, trained and administered by the Xanterra Information Technology team.
- Prepares and executes organized classroom training as well as on-the-job training for property and corporate employees.
- Provide support and assistance to the Xanterra Incident Response Team as needed and requested.
- Serves in an on-call capacity for after-hours/non-business hours support if required.
- Other duties as assigned.
Work Skills and Knowledge Requirements:
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Customer Service - Manages difficult or emotional employee interaction situations; responds promptly to user needs and to requests for service and assistance; fulfills commitments.
- Attendance/Punctuality - Is consistently at work and on time; ensures work responsibilities are covered when absent; arrives at meetings and appointments on time.
- Dependability - Follows instructions, responds to management direction; takes responsibility for own actions; keeps commitments; commits to long hours of work when necessary to reach goals; completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person with an alternate plan.
- Initiative - Volunteers readily; undertakes self-development activities; seeks increased responsibilities; takes independent actions and calculated risks; looks for and takes advantage of opportunities; asks for and offers help when needed.
- Professionalism - Approaches others in a tactful manner; reacts well under pressure; treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position; accepts responsibility for own actions; follows through on commitments.
- Quality - Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; looks for ways to improve and promote quality; applies feedback to improve performance; monitors own work to ensure quality.
- Leadership – Serves as the primary leader for the department and the organization as a whole on areas concerning technologies and other spheres of influence.
- Analytical Skills – Demonstrates strong analytical skills including the ability to plan complex system-related projects
Education and Experience Requirements:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Education/Experience: Bachelor’s degree in Information Technology or Business Administration with a concentration in Information Technology, Significant work experience can substitute for formal education. 3-5 years of IT experience is required with a background in hospitality-based systems strongly preferred and a strong working knowledge of hospitality skills is also required.
- Security Knowledge – Knowledge and prior experience with Payment Card Industry compliance and other security compliance requirements is preferred.
- Technical Knowledge – Knowledge and experience with Microsoft SQL is preferred.
- Documentation Toolset Skills – Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite of products is required.
- Applications Experience – Experience with the following applications is preferred: Fidelio Cruise, Micros, Seaware, AMOS, and Adonis.
- Supervisory Responsibilities: This job currently does not have any supervisory responsibilities.
- Work Ethic: The individual must have the capacity to work in a fast-paced environment where project priorities, task deadlines, and assignments can change quickly and with little notice. The individual must be a self-starter who can work with minimal supervision while working within the guidelines set by their supervisors.
- Language Ability: Ability to communicate both verbally and in a written format is critical to the success of any individual in this position due to the amount of documentation and training required within the job duties.
Work Environment & Physical Demands
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Ability to work varied schedule based on business needs, including early and late shifts and weekends as needed.
General office environment. Moderate noise.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Regularly required to sit and occasionally required to stand. Occasionally required to lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job includes close vision. Some stress may occur, especially during closing periods.
This position is located in the Seattle office.