Employee Name: FLSA Status: Exempt
Position Title: Product Manager Work Hours: Full time
Department: Product Development
Position Reports To: Director of Product Development
Responsible for product management for each assigned itinerary as outlined by Director of Product Development, including shore excursions, hotels, transfers and land packages in line with company’s operating and financial objectives. Manage the Destination engagement for each assigned itinerary, including on board programming and land based activities.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- “Own” the overall guest experience from a destination engagement perspective for assigned itineraries.
- Itinerary Content development within region; develop tour program.
- Overall management of all destination enrichment, local entertainment, lectures and private events.
- Development, planning and execution of shore excursions, hotel, transfers and pre and post programs for each assigned itineraries.
- Integral part of the itinerary development team for specified regions.
- Manage the DM on board with respect to the Product and Itinerary delivery.
- Ongoing development of innovative Shore Excursions program to enhance brand identity and destination engagement.
- Sourcing and ongoing development of “Concierge” class tours.
- Assisting VIP team members with custom touring needs.
- Provide daily support to all ships operating in your region.
- Provide budget numbers for assigned regions and manage programs to budget.
- Responsible for weekly revenue targets including margin targets.
- Responsible to maintain or exceed rating standards for ports and shore excursions.
- Provide competitive analysis for the product market.
- Maintain and manage comprehensive documentation for itineraries associated with the territory.
- Work closely with Director of Product Development to maximize onboard enrichment for all appropriate itineraries.
- Remain available on an on-call basis in the event of contingency, emergencies, or other various unplanned itinerary changes.
- Research and determine which shore excursions will complement the itinerary.
- Serve as the technical expert by providing product delivery and shore excursion information.
- Maintain ownership of assigned itineraries and associated product delivery.
- Serve as liaison between Marine Operations and Product Development departments to assure accurate delivery of product.
- Insure a comprehensive guest experience by maintaining high standards in safety, operations, logistics, and tour flow.
- Monitor and respond to guest surveys.
- Evaluate on board programming and itineraries, and suggest improvements.
- Track and report product changes, enhancements and developments and propose enhancements to itineraries.
- Manage, evaluate and audit land vendors including: shore excursion, hotel, transfers and pre and post programs remotely and on site to ensure that brand standards are met.
- Develop standards and facilitate “meet and greet” and guest transfer services.
- Operate and manage itineraries within allocated budget.
- Develop guidance for on board Destination Managers on minimum margin and profitability of the specific tours in the territory.
- Prepare and own the Destination Discovery Events when relevant.
- Support Director of Product Development in specialized itineraries for charters and groups.
- Prepare templates for port and shore excursion power point presentations as training tools for Vacation planning department and onboard staff.
- Perform training sessions with appropriate departments to keep them up to date on products offered.
- Maintain successful relationships with vendors.
- Develop quick reference sheets and policy procedures with information provided by vendors.
- Performs other duties as required.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent and/or a minimum of 5 years of related experience in Product Management, preferably in tour operations and/or cruise line environments.
- Strategic planner with sound technical skills, analytical ability, sound judgment and operational focus.
- Must be deadline-oriented and able to work efficiently under pressure.
- Strong team player.
- Strong understanding of destinations. Knowledge of applicable geographic regions and cultures preferred.
- Must have excellent communication skills with proven negotiation skills, and the ability to relate to employees at all levels of the organization.
- Willing to travel for extended periods of time, between 25% and 30%.
- Must have a valid passport.
- Proficient in MS Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint.
- Good organizational skills.
- Must be detailed oriented.
Work Environment & Physical Demands
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
General office environment. Moderate noise.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Regularly required to sit and occasionally required to stand. Occasionally required to lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job includes close vision. Some stress may occur, especially during closing periods.
Supervisory Responsibilities: Yes No
Windstar Cruises is an Equal Opportunity Employer