Responsible for the operation, maintenance, repair, and upgrade of assigned ships in a safe, compliant and efficient manner; ensuring assigned ships and their machinery are in good condition, and cost effectively available.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Leads and controls large projects from planning to execution.
- Plans, controls and executes all activities connected with maintenance, repairs, dry-docking, conversion or modification of assigned ships.
- Plans, controls and executes all activities connected to class and flag state survey and certificate requirements; builds and maintains effective liaison with relevant authorities.
- Verifies that the SEMS and Fleet Notifications are implemented onboard.
- Maintains strict control of all aspects of vessel expenditure, ensures vessel expenditure is accrued to vessel accounts, and takes appropriate action to bring costs to budget level.
- Monitors vessel performance trends including speed, fuel and lubricating oil consumptions, and implements timely remedial actions where these are outside agreed or expected parameters.
- Ensures assigned ships are visited at regular intervals and report on general condition, repairs and maintenance, crew performance, safety, environmental protection, compliance, and identify any remedial actions required.
- Promulgates a culture of compliance, safety and efficiency, onboard assigned ships.
- Makes budget plans for R&M, Dry Dock, Wet Dock and capital approval for the up-coming budget year within given timelines for assigned ships.
- Liaison with the DPA to ensure repairs of all reported deficiencies, damages and non-conformities for assigned ships are cleared with the minimum of delay.
- Provides assistance as requested to establish the root cause in an incident and/or accident investigation. Take part in any follow-up review of lessons learned.
- Prepares and/or contributes to any insurance claims for assigned ships, and liaises with underwriters' representatives throughout the claim process.
- Builds and maintains a professional and effective working relationship with senior ships staff of assigned ships.
- Conducts Senior Officer Performance Appraisals in accordance with HR procedures and plays an active role in their career development.
- Assists in selecting shipboard personnel by conducting interviews.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Engineering/Naval Architecture or Bachelor’s Degree, and • 5-7 years marine related experience or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Previous experience as a Technical Operations Director in a Technical Department, or previous experience in a Senior Engineering/Naval Architecture position in the Marine Industry
- Good communication (oral and written) and English language skills.
- Managed Technical operations aspects of new build or resale handover.
- Good interpersonal skills with the ability to engage and interact with people at all levels.
- Good planning and organizational skills.
- An ability to develop creative and effective solutions to problems.
- Financial/budget experience and understanding.
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
Will have to work in a hot and noisy environment and use the correct PPE for such.
Ability to work a loft (mast) when required.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
Regularly required to sit and stand. Occasionally required to lift and/or move up to 40 pounds.