Employee Name: FLSA Status: Exempt
Position Title: HR Manager
Work Hours: Full - Time
Department: Human Resources
Position Reports To: VP – Human Resources
Under general direction of VP of HR, implements the company strategy for promoting fair, consistent and inclusive culture, with a strong focus on performance excellence and innovation. Manages a variety of HR programs and functions, including recruitment, employee engagement survey and “employer of choice” initiatives, employee/ labor relations, policy development, compliance oversight and measurement of effectiveness.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Manages, reviews and implements HR policies, procedures and programs to support company mission and strategic goals. Provides coaching, advice and guidance to management staff and employees on a variety of employment policies, practices and processes.
- Responsible for full-cycle corporate office recruitment and oversight of fleet recruitment and onboarding programs conducted by manning agents.
- Responsible for oversight, optimization and administration of the company’s corporate and fleet performance management systems in support of company strategic performance goals and expectations. Provides coaching to supervisors and managers to ensure fair and consistent performance management practices.
- Provides support to VP of HR in the CBA (collective bargaining agreements) negotiations process, proactively identifying issues to be addressed, researching best practices and proposing alternatives in line with company employee/labor relations philosophy and budget considerations. Ensures consistent implementation and adherence to the terms of CBAs across the fleet.
- Ensures compliance with all state, federal and international employment laws and regulations, provides guidance and counsel to management staff and employees on interpretation of the applicable laws and regulations.
- Manages and coordinates preparation of job descriptions, ensures FLSA classification compliance (in collaboration with in-house employment counsel) and oversees job evaluations.
- Assists with training, development, employee/ labor relations functions and workplace investigations as needed, provides guidance and coaching to managers and staff.
- Travels to the ships to conduct one on one sessions with officers and crew.
- Provides support to other HR team members as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources, Labor/ Industrial Relations, Organizational Development or a closely related field
- SPHR, GPHR or SHRM-SP certification preferred
- 7-10 years progressive Human Resources management experience
- Ability to perform essential job functions
- Demonstrated experience and skill in conducting workplace investigations, analyzing information in relation to the relevant employment laws, collective bargaining agreements, trends, policies and procedures, and use sound judgment to draw valid conclusions
- Knowledge of collective bargaining including understanding of the grievance handling up through the arbitration level, union organization process, and contract negotiations
- Thorough knowledge of state, federal employment and labor laws, and governmental compliance requirements
- Must possess high credibility and absolute commitment to confidentiality and professional integrity
- Excellent written, verbal communication and presentation skills
- Strong interpersonal and relationship-building skills
- Previous experience within cruise industry preferred and/or knowledge of relevant Maritime employment laws.
- Must be able to travel 20% to 30%
Work Environment & Physical Demands